Questions? We've got answers for you!
Get in touch with us at Schilling and we'll get back to you within one business day. We look forward to serving you so you can soar the sky and soak up the rays! Email, call, tweet, stop in, fill out the form below, however you choose, we will be here for all of your travel needs...
Is there any charges for consultation?
- Our fees are very low and in most cases, there are no fees at all. In addition, we never charge for initial consultation on travel. Feel free to walk in, call, or email us with your questions. We are experts on travel to all destinations on the globe. We love to talk travel and our agents have over 140 years of collective travel experience. If you want us to go to work for you, and there are fees charged, we will provide you with costs in advance, so there are never surprises.
What kinds of information on travel do you provide?
- The list is almost endless. We get asked all sorts of questions. We answer questions about destinations, pricing, travel methods, luggage limitations, passport and visa, electrical standards, medical requirements, accessibility, pet travel and many other questions. Of course, we cannot forecast what the weather will be in your desired destination!
Aren't travel agents obsolete? Can't we just book everything on the Internet?
- Not at all. We are not obsolete and in fact business through travel agents is growing at the expense of online. Yes, you can book online. But our professionals are excellent avoiding the pitfalls that users of the online services get into. Spell your name differently from your ID, pick the wrong date, book connecting flights that will leave you stranded, or select a hotel that has glowing online reports only to find out that the hotel has major renovation going on. These are just some of the issues we can help you avoid. We also belong to buying groups that can often save you money or provide more amenities over the Internet prices. On online website can only ask you where and when you want to go. We dig deeper. What kind of vacation do you want? Adventuresome or relaxing. Educational or recreational? Then we can come up with suggestions you never thought to "Google" for. And finally, today more and more people are coming to us because they are overwhelmed by the often conflicting information on the web and the time it takes to do research. If you have already booked part of your trip, we might still be able to assist. Check with us.
What assistance do you provide to groups?
- Groups are one of our specialties. Special rules apply for air, tour, and hotel reservations. We have been providing travel assistance to groups from sports teams, to corporate groups, to family reunions for over 90 years. Call us and we can setup your group trip. We work with a group of affiliated companies that we have worked with for decades and we know their quality and reliability will meet your needs. You will need at least 10 persons traveling together to get airline group rates. And we recommend going higher than that as a minimum in case someone drops out before the trip commences. Groups of less than 10 can still be accommodated using traditional booking methods. And in some cases, the tour escort can go free or reduced cost.
Why should an organization use Schilling Travel?
- We have many clients who have switched from booking over the Internet to using our services. We can implement your organizations travel rules, we can provide management reports, but more importantly, we can save your organization both time and money by effectively managing your travel. What might take your employee 30-45 minutes to book online, can be handled by a simple 1-2 minute phone call to us. Try us for 30 days with no obligation and with no fees for the first 10 trips in 30 days.
What accreditation does Schilling Travel have?
- First and foremost, we are an ARC (Airline Reporting Corporation) agency. That means we have the authority to issue tickets for air transportation and other services. Many travel agencies do not have this capability, and therefore must run through another agency to have tickets issued. In order to meet this requirement, we have to meet very high financial standards. We are also a member of the American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA), Cruise Line Industry Association (CLIA) and International Airlines Travel Agent Network (IATAN). We are fully committed to the travel business. Also, our management and agents take classes, and webinars to keep updated on the travel products we sell.
Do I have to come into your office to plan a trip?
- You are welcome to visit our downtown Minneapolis offices weekdays 830AM-500PM, but you certainly do not have to. Most of our clients deal with us through phone calls and emails. We will correspond with you in the manner you prefer. That said, we have a complete library of materials on destinations all over the world. You are welcome to come in at any time our office is open and view these materials. We are located on the skyway level in the Crossings building at Washington Avenue South and Second Avenue South in downtown Minneapolis. Ample street parking or ramp parking available nearby. We are happy to send directions and parking information should you need it.
Who should I call or email if I have a specific destination in mind?
- All of our leisure agents are able to assist you regardless of destination, as all are cross trained for any destination. If an agent believes that someone else in the office would be better handling the request, then they will refer the client to that agent. Or feel free to contact an agent directly. Here are some of the destination specialties of our agents: Francine: Honeymoons, Caribbean, Cruises, Africa, Europe, Asia, Oceania, Mexico, all-inclusive resorts and airfare. Robert: Caribbean, Europe, Cruises, Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico, UAE, SE Asia, China, Australia/NZ and Morocco, all-inclusive resorts and villa rentals. Sue: Walt Disney, Cruises, Groups, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, air fare. Mary: Luxury hotels, car rentals, limos, airfare for major cities of the world.
Do I need a passport, visa or special medical vaccinations?
- The traveler has the ultimate responsibility for having complete documentation required for a trip. We will be happy to assist you with that knowledge. Requirements for a trip can change, so it is still the travelers ultimate responsibility to have in their possession all of the travel documents required for a trip. We will provide the links to the appropriate organizations to keep you informed.
How do I know that I my trip will go as planned, and I won't have problems?
- While no one can guarantee your trip will be problem free, we take steps to minimize problems by using travel suppliers we know and trust and have used for years. We will advise on minimum connect times at airports based on the airport and abilities of the traveler. We inform travelers about issues like potential weather and political impact on travel. We provide links on our web site to keep you informed. And we provide travel insurance options that protect against financial losses due to covered problems. And if you do have problems, we assist you in minimizing the impact and obtaining compensation. It’s all part of the service we offer.
What forms of payment do you take?
- For our established clients, we take VISA, MasterCard, Discover Card, American Express, JCB, cash and check. New customers and those who have less than one year with us have additional restrictions to prevent fraudulent transactions. Your agent can provide you with further information.
What if the price goes up after I pay?
- If we have quoted you a price, and you have not paid, the price and or availability is not fixed and may go up or down. Once we confirm availability and price and you pay at that time, the price is locked in for your vacation. You do not have to worry about a price increase.
What about travel protection and insurance? Do you sell it? And should I buy it?
- Yes, we can provide travel protection and insurance. We offer several different levels of protection at competitive prices. For very expensive trips with huge cancellation penalties, or travel to areas with limited medical facilities, we highly recommend taking insurance. For most domestic short trips, you probably will not need it. We will be happy to explain your options.
Can I book online through Schilling Travel for my business?
- For businesses, we offer two different online booking tools, depending upon your needs. These tools will reduce your costs, while keeping your required business rules in place, such as restriction on business class travel, maximum hotel pricing, and sending trips to be authorized by company management before booking. And we have live agents that view all online transactions and are there to assist if needed.
Can we still book a holiday vacation if its less than 8 weeks before the trip or an off holiday vacation in less than 2 weeks?
- Usually, yes we can still book space in hotels, air, and ground transport. But booking so close to a major holiday will usually cost much more, especially for air, and you will find that the better properties have already been reserved. For off holiday travel, we can usually find something at a late date, but choice may be limited. But talk to us, we'll work to find something for you. Being flexible on destinations and dates of travel will help.
Will I be safe if I travel to the country I am planning to visit?
- International travel today is very safe to most countries, but there is always a possibility of a problem regardless of the country. Some countries are less safe than others. We can help you be safer by giving you guidance on how to stay safe. We also provide a link to the US State Department that lists precautions or warnings for every country. And you should also review the Centers for Disease Control traveler information at cdc.gov After obtaining information on the places you plan to travel to, the final decision on where and when you go is left up to the traveler.
Can I still book travel with you if I am afraid to fly?
- Yes. There are a number of rail and bus options and transatlantic ships to get you to nearly any point on the globe. In fact, when our company started in 1924, it was before commercial air travel and that is how everyone visited the planet. It is just going to take a much longer time to travel, and typically will be more expensive. But also consider this: you are safer flying than you are in taking car, bus, or rail travel.
Are there last minute deals on cruises, airfare and hotels?
- Well, sometimes. But the days of having a lot of last minute options has evaporated. Cruise lines do not do as much last minute discounting. And air carriers usually price last minute travel very high so that any last minute savings are negated by the higher cost of getting there. But check with us and we will help you. We can usually find something for you at last minute if you are willing to be flexible on destination and departure date. And we have many promotions for specific products and times but these are usually not for last minute travel.
How is the (health issue) going to affect my travel?
- We have weathered SARS, the Ebola Virus, Nolovirus and the Zika Virus. Our travel suppliers work to minimize or eliminate exposure to health concerns. That said, we recommend that everyone follow the appropriate recommendations of the CDC and check back often to see if the advice changes. You should also look at all of the other medical recommendations the CDC has for the country you are traveling to. Connect With The CDC
How is the (political/terrorism) going to affect my travel?
- Assuming you stay out of real trouble spots like Iraq, Yemen, Somalia, and similar places, your chance of being injured by terrorism is much less than being struck by lightning! The terrorists want you to be scared and cause you to modify your travel. If we all do that, the terrorists win. Knowledge is power, so we strongly recommend that you review the US State departments travel warnings on areas you plan to visit. That website can be found at this link.